exuberance – high spirits
exulted – rejoiced greatly
gauntness – thin
haunch – the part of the body including the hip, buttock and thigh
putridness – decomposed; rotten and foul-smelling
reconnoiter – came back together; regrouped
- Why do Granma and Granpa want Little Tree to know about the history of the Cherokees?
- What is the Trail of Tears? How do the Cherokee keep their “souls” while they are on the trail?
- How did Granpa meet his wife?
- Why does Granpa’s father join with John Hunt Morgan, the Confederate Raider?
- Briefly describe the marriage stick. Explain its use.
- Carter often uses descriptions of nature as a metaphor for the characters in the story. Find a passage in this chapter where he describes nature and at the same time is describing Granpa’s father.