cache – something stored or hidden in a safe place
cleavage – a division or split
pinged – made a sharp sound
- Why does Granpa say that Little Tree can go with him to the high trail, but he will not wake Little Tree up in the morning?
- Find an example of personification and simile in this chapter.
- Why does Little Tree conclude, “…me and Granpa had us an understanding that most folks didn’t know”?
- What does Granpa mean by “The Way”? How does the philosophy of “The Way” apply to deer hunting?
- What happens to the bee, who stores more food than it needs? Find a passage in the chapter stating a generalization about life based on the bee story.
- In what sense are the turkeys in the trap and the bus driver alike?
- What, if anything, does Granpa think Little Tree should do about the bus driver’s bigotry?
- How does Granpa let Little Tree know that he has correctly followed “The Way” in selecting which three turkeys to keep? What can you infer from the answer?
- Reread the poem at the end of this chapter. According to this poem, what is the soul of the Cherokee?