fornicate – sexual intercourse without marriage
sedge – grasslike plants
tallow – fat used to make candles, soaps, and lubricants
- Little Tree says, “Planting is a pretty tedious proposition.” List four “rules” for planting that Granpa follows. In what sense do these rules seem to be based on superstitions rather than facts?
- How does Granpa determine if the watermelon is ripe enough to be picked?
- Why do you suppose the B page in the dictionary is torn out?
- For what reasons has Granpa “…never taken much to churching”? Why, then, do he and Granma go to church?
- Briefly describe Willow John. How does he feel about Little Tree?
- Why does Little Tree leave a nickel and a bullfrog in Willow John’s coat pocket?
- Why does Willow John wear his hat in church?
- What do you think the character of Willow John might represent in this story?
- What can you infer from the quotation about Pine Billy’s winning the contest or getting the reward: “He never mentioned it, so we never asked him about it”?
- What is happening in the world beyond Little Tree’s home?