nostalgia – a desire for something long ago
pollywogs – tadpoles
- What life lesson does Granma teach Little Tree when he finds musk bugs?
- List three adjectives that could be used to describe the umbrella spider, based on Little Tree’s understanding of it.
- What is the difference, according to Granma, between a person’s body-living mind and spirit mind? Why does she think Little Tree’s secret place is a necessity?
- How does Granma describe the four seasons of the year in terms of the spirits?
- Define the terms “tree spirit” and “tree-thought.”
- Explain how the trees prevented the lumberman from destroying the forest.