Students will listen, speak, read, write, view, and represent to:
- Explore thoughts, ideas, feelings, and experiences
- Comprehend literature and other texts in oral, print, visual, and multimedia forms, and respond personally, critically, and creatively.
- Manage ideas and information
- determine inquiry or research requirements
- follow a plan of inquiry
- Create oral, print, visual, and multimedia texts, and enhance the clarity and artistry of communication
- Respect, support, and collaborate with others
- Students will produce a Project Proposal plan in response to Mustapha Mond’s Department of Propaganda .
- Students will internalize focus questions.
- Students will identify Propaganda Techniques.
- Students will infuse ICT outcomes.
- Students will work well with others in groups.
- Students will prepare a script, storyboard, and a 3-5 minute video.
- Students will experience shooting video with a Canon FS10 and editing video with iMovie 08.
- Students will improve their “TIC” (Technique, Insight, Communication).
Learning Activities and Strategies:
Roles: Leader, Editor, Script Writer, Actor/ress
- Group Alpha: MM, CA, BC, JP, CM, JC
- Group Beta: KY, DL, TS, BrG, BR, APr
- Group Gamma: KW, TL, MP, SJ, CS, SG
- Group Delta: AN, JM, JB, NC, JPo, APa
Students will produce a 3-5 minute video roleplaying an employee of Mustapha Mond’s Department of Propaganda:
- select one of 4 “Subdepartments“
- select focus questions from World Perspectives–The Social Experience
- What are our responsibilities to others?
- What is “truth” and what is “justice”?
- What is the nature of ambition and power?
- What is social criticism?
- How can we make the world a better place?
- submit a Proposal be approved by a group leader and teacher.
- determine lighting, sound effects, props, locations.
- submit storyboard and script to be approved by a group leader and teacher.
Resources and Materials:
- /1 Proposal
- /1 Script/Storyboard
- /8 Video Project
- /1 Burn, upload, share video
- 2 weeks
With the resources and virtually unlimited media access of the State, your job is to help design and shoot a public service announcement for your subdepartment to be broadcast over the airwaves and through the digital pipes of our world
- Your video presentation should be polished and smooth, upbeat yet to the point, and simple but catchy.
- It must effectively and dramatically convey the message that obedience to the values and organization of our society leads to individual virtue and sanity, thereby bringing about stability and happiness for all.
- The broadcast should last between 4-5 minutes and should be perfectly understandable and equally digestible to both an Alpha-Plus and Delta-Minus.
- Your message will be broadcast tens of thousands of times over weeks and even months and millions of viewers will be exposed to it, so your work must be of the highest quality. It cannot seem stale and boring after only a handful of viewings.
In selecting you to work in his Department of Propaganda, Mustapha Mond has the highest confidence in your ability to produce creative work realizing these high expectations. In particular, he wishes that you not lose sight of the following questions:
- How can you fashion your message so as to gain maximum acceptance by the target audience?
- What tricks can you use to make your message seem reasonable and not overbearing?
- What techniques can you use to influence people without their feeling manipulated or controlled?
- Is your message upbeat and is the tone appropriate to our brave new world?
- Will your slogans and/or jingles stay in people’s minds afterwards? Are they simple? Are they catchy?
- Is the video broadcast polished and attention grabbing?
- Does it reinforce the core message of your subdepartment, as well as the general values of the World State?